Sunday, January 15, 2012

Feeding Three Growing Boys

I am raising three boys ages 14, 11 and 6. I am always looking for easy recipes with simple ingredients. They do not like casseroles or crazy ingredients. Two out of the three enjoy eating salads, sushi and fruit. I have one that is a very picky eater. They all three love milk, meat, rice, noodles, grated cheese and believe it or not they love Vienna Sausage. The newest thing we do for school lunches is sugar free Kool-Aid packs to add to a bottle of water. We started this to help my boys get there daily dose of water. This has worked out real well for all three. It has also helped me get my water in during the day :)

I was looking through the February 2012 issue of Parenting magazine and saw on page 54 Sweet Sandwiches. Some of their suggestions were Apple Cheddar and Peanut Butter; Honey, Almond Butter and Banana; Strawberry and Goat Cheese; Pear and Avocado. SERIOUSLY!!! My children would not touch those sandwiches and would look at me like I had lost my mind. I need some realistic suggestions for something they will eat that is healthy. Would your children eat these sandwiches? Am I the only one with picky eaters? Now, my youngest MIGHT try the strawberry and goat cheese sandwich. It actually looked pretty good.

We have two appliances that we have about worn out: sandwich maker and quesadilla maker.The quesadilla machine is a Christmas present a friend gave us several years ago. One of my kids' favorite snacks or dinner is a quesadilla. I put cheese on a flour tortilla and then sometimes sneak in some chicken or beef from a previous meal. The also love a good grilled cheese made from on our sandwich maker. They do not like for me to put a meat in there though. However, I have found I can make a version of a Philly cheese steak sandwich without the onions and they will eat that.

Just wondering what your children enjoy eating.


What are some of the snacks your pack in their school lunches?

What do you feed them for an after-school snack?

What are some of their favorite recipes?

I am not the best at getting my boys to eat their vegetables. How do you get your children to eat vegetables?

No comments:

Post a Comment